My blog about kayaking with an extra focus on Valleys Nordkapp and Anas Acuta kayaks.
Some outdoors life in Sweden and the places around the world I travel to. Reviews on outdoors gear with mostly kayaking stuff..
At the bottom of my blog you can find all my Youtube videos on my playlist "AllSeasonsKayaking"

Thursday 18 August 2016

NOLS WSA 2016 Day 6

This is one of my best days in Alaska! What a beautiful spot we have in Nassau Bay with Chenega and Tigertail glaciers across the bay. At uneven intervalls the waves from the calving glaciers hits our beach and carries icebergs with them.
It's a dry place near the glacier and a lot of flies but besides that it's absolutely the most beautiful camp spot on the whole trip. No bear track but fresh tracks from a wolverine and Darren actually saw one very early morning.

 As we had a lay-over day it was a bit lazy this morning. But me and Josh were ready to go out exploring closer to the glacier. So, we went ahead of the others on this clear and warm day. At about 1 nautical mile from the glacier (about 1,8 km or 1,1 miles) we stopped at just watched and took photos. Three harbor seals where close by and when we tried to take photos of those we heard a big calving from the glacier. We saw that a big wave was on the way and two minuets later the waves hit us. Number one was big, number two was big (5-6 feet or 2 meters) and then the third one came! At least 10 feet (3-4 meters)! Watch the video below to see it, for once I had the GoPro running when this happened. The third wave was breaking just after it passed us, and we are not sure if we could have handled that. We were also very lucky that the rest of the kayaks were not there, it's doubtful if they could have managed that big wave.

The the rest of the guys arrived and me and Josh had calmed down a bit and our adrenalin levels were down to more normal levels. A lot of photos. And I did a roll with the beautiful glacier behind me. (There will be a video of this later. I am still working on all the film material.)
After that we slowly headed back to our beach. Some of us took a detour into a river and was playing in the current for a bit. Fun!
Baking class in the afternoon by Josh. I made a focaccia bread. (On the recipe it says thyme and basil, I usually use rosemary.) This is a bread I do rather often at home, both in the oven in our house or out when camping. It turned out rather well.

A cool evening and the next day was going to be a moving day so we all went to sleep early.
More posts from my Alaska trip:
Anchorage
Day 1 and 2
Day 3 to 5
Day 6
Day 7
Day 8
Day 9 and 10



Chenega glacier




Here you can see the glacier calving

The small "tsunamis" from the calving hits the beach. It takes 4 ½ minutes from the glacier to the beach.

Iceberg

Lisa has been in the sun

Arthur and Patrik is playing by the icebergs. 

A cool guy! Arthur

Sunset over Chenega glacier

The "gang" with the glacier in the background

Josh is taking photos just before our "incident"

Tiger Tail glacier


Darren

The focaccia bread

More tsunamis

Me.                   Photo taken by Kila

No comments:

Post a Comment