My blog about kayaking with an extra focus on Valleys Nordkapp and Anas Acuta kayaks.
Some outdoors life in Sweden and the places around the world I travel to. Reviews on outdoors gear with mostly kayaking stuff..
At the bottom of my blog you can find all my Youtube videos on my playlist "AllSeasonsKayaking"

Saturday 13 August 2016

NOLS WSA 2016 day 1 and 2

Day 1 Sunday July 10

Previous post!

Then it it started!
I met all my course mates at the train station in Anchorage early Sunday morning at July 10. An old school bus took us out to Palmer, the local NOLS branch where we had to fix all our gear and back everything for the expedition.
We are eleven "students" and three leaders on this course. When we arrive in Palmer Oscar, who was my chief instructor last time in Alaska, greeted us. Then a few hectic hours followed.

All our personal gear had to be checked and we had to buy or rent the things that we missed. I had most of what was needed except rubber boots, a sleeping bag and some small stuff. I also got the chance to borrow a greenland paddle from Haf (Oscar fixed that, Haf was also one of the instructors last time. Thank you guys!). Then we had to pack the kayaks, paddles, tents, cooking gear and food for two weeks. All the food was already packed in bags for us so we saved almost one day not having to do that. The students do that on longer expeditions.

We had a nice lunch and then into the bus for the three hour trip to Whittier where the "Kayak chief", a charter boat from Lazy Otter company, took us out to Main Bay. Finally out in Prince William Sound!

First we had to set our camp. I got to be tent mate with Tom and Toby, two great guys and we had our tent and tarp up rather quickly. It was a very nice beach and perfect weather.

Day 2 Monday July 11

A slow morning with some talk about cooking and how to operate the stove. We had MSR Whisper Lite with white spirit as fuel. They work great.
Then Lisa talked about some about kayaking, getting in and out, paddle strokes, pfds, spray skirts and other related stuff. Finally we got into the kayaks for a short test trip. I had the pleasure to paddle a single kayak and as the sun was warming me in my dry-suit I had to do some rolls to cool off. (And a bit to show off!) The kayak had a high aft deck so the rolls where not perfect and the butterfly roll didn't work at all.

A fishing boat came up to us and gave us a large nice salmon that we but on the grill. And I did some "gravlax". 

A nice day and I'm slowly getting to know my new friends.

More posts from my Alaska trip:
Anchorage
Day 1 and 2
Day 3 to 5
Day 6
Day 7
Day 8
Day 9 and 10
Kenai and Prince William Sound.

Our track. The finish is at Eleanor Island.

Oscar (old friend), Lisa, Josh and Darren our instructors.

Sorting our gear.

In the stores at NOLS, Palmer, are all the equipment you need.
On our way to Whittier.

Whittier Tunnel: Anton Anderson Memorial Tunnel. The longest in North America.
Finally out in Prince William Sound


Kayak Chief took us out to our first beach.

Toby, Ashly, Kim, Arthur, Amy, Kila and Tom

Lisa is demonstrating some necessary kayak skills.

Kayaking! "L" and Lisa

Just hanging on the beach

Cooking

Prince William Sound with  Chugach mountains in the background.

Tom and Toby are the cooks


Can you think of a more beautiful place?






No comments:

Post a Comment